Western Cape Tour 2021
Archive Tours planned for 2021 - Book now to secure your place!
Western Cape Archive Tour : The August 2020 tour has been postponed to 16 to 21 May 2021
NB - Participants from the Cape do not pay for the air ticket and accommodation provided they can join the team on a daily basis with their own transport from their homes.
The programme consists of:
- Three days research in the Cape Archive in Cape Town,
- One day with GISA’s inheritance at the CPUT in Wellington
- One day with the Huguenot registers in Franschhoek.
Beginner Researchers receive ample information and assistance. The more Advanced Members gain as they can focus for five full days undisturbed on their own research.
Space is still available. The programme starts on a Sunday morning and ends five days later on Friday night. Cost R 8,000. The deposit is R3,000 and will be refunded in full should the tour need to be cancelled.
What is the aim of GSSA offering these tours?
- To assist beginner genealogists (but also more advanced GSSA members) when visiting archives; GSSA supports members who join one of the tours for the FIRST TIME by subsidising them with R500 if they pay the full deposit during October 2020 ..... or until the subsidy is used up (the reduction is applicable to the full tour price – the deposit is still R3000);
- To build team spirit among members and branches.
What are the pre-conditions for participants?
- It is recommended that you have access to the internet for a little training and plenty of information per email.
- As a beginner researcher you really need to be interested in genealogical research in your or other particular families and need to be prepared to read and work through the emails you receive during the months before leaving.
- Should you be a more advanced researcher, you are also more than welcome to join in as you waste no time on all the arrangements. The information and training will prepare you for everything. Should you classify yourself as novice researcher, you’ll be provided with some extra user-friendly information for beginners – almost 50% of the participants usually make use of this “Beginners’ Training”.
- You need to be a paid up GSSA member of any branch of your choice. It is accepted if you may want to renew your membership or to join a little later – e.g. whenever your branch has its first meeting. You could be assisted to join if necessary.
- To be on this or other tour mailing lists as an Interested Participant. Remember you are not obligated to take the tour but bookings, however, are only done by paying the deposit.
For more information or to be added to the mailing list please email me by clicking on my name Ellen Harmse
- Hits: 1748