HOW DO I JOIN
Why become a member and How to Join
The Genealogical Society of South Africa (GSSA) that was established in 1964 has twelve branches of which eleven are land based and one which is an electronic branch catering for members worldwide, via the internet. Each branch arranges its own activities and meets all year round apart from December and January. More information can be gleaned by visiting the branch pages of www.genza.org.za. Members become close friends and are more than happy to assist newcomers with their research. Many a dead end has been resolved by discussing the issue with a fellow genealogist.
- We promote and facilitate:-
- Interest & research in Genealogy and Family history to present members, to the g enealogical hobbyist & to all members of the public who may be interested in genealogy and/or family history.
- We promote general understanding of Genealogy and its value
- We provide:
- a wide range of educational courses
- each branch had unique library
- a vast product list for sale
- research programmes and services for the general benefit of GSSA branches and members
- We encourage and develop links with Family History Societies & the National Archives
- Each branch arranges it’s own program for the year and often includes:
- Guest Speakers
- Outings to history societies i.e. Family Search & the National Archives
- Training on the various platforms
- Even assisting in product development
We look forward to welcoming you to our family. Join today and discover your past!
Membership fees for the Genealogical Society of South Africa (GSSA) are laid out as follows:
Membership fees mean you belong to the GSSA National AND a home branch and you receive the quarterly publication Familia depending on your option choice:
Option 1 - Familia in electronic format only Fee R250
Option 2 - Familia in Hard copy Fee R360 (RSA only)
Option 3 - Familia in Hard copy Fee R590 (Abroad)
These fees excludes the branch fees. When you decide to join you will be allocated to a particular branch e.g. Johannesburg Branch, Vaal Triangle Branch, Western Cape Branch, etc. There are 12 land based branches and 1 Cyber branch called the eGSSA- this is a web based branch.
The various branches of the GSSA in some instances levy an additional mandatory fee for the newsletter of the branch, this differs from branch to branch.
A copy of the application form can be downloaded here Mermbership Application 2020 and all the relevant information you require is on this form.
There are two options to choose from should you wish to become a member of the GSSA
1) Download the relevant Application form above, decide on the branch that you would like to join and pay the applicable fees. Send your completed from to the address on the form and you will be notified via email of your membership.
2) You can join via the eGSSA branch. Visit this page: http://www.eggsa.org/sales/eshop_e_dc_membership.htm and follow the instructions. The membership fee of the eGSSA consists of three elements, i.e. membership of the GSSA; membership of the eGSSA and optional member of a land based branch as well.
Should you have any queries kindly Click here .
- Hits: 9515