Archive Crawl 19-23 October 2020
PLEASE NOTE THIS TOUR IS NOW FULLY BOOKED!
- 19-23 October 2020 (Monday morning until Friday afternoon)
What is included?
- Picnic lunches, guides, tips and donations, entry fees, up front information/training per email, and all arrangements.
How much does it cost?
- Approximately R 800 per person payable before 31 August 2020. This assumes that you will use your own transport or lifts provided by the group to reach the various archives. (Read below for some reduction.)
What is the size of the group?
- 10-15 (including the co-ordinator).
Institutions & Archives to be visited?
- 2 days at the Transvaal/National Archive in Pretoria (TAB).
- 1 day at the GSSA library, housed at the Heritage Foundation (Erfenisstigting) in Pretoria.
- 1 day at the archive of the Reformed Church (Hervormde Kerk.
- 1 day at the National Library (legal deposit library).
- NB - The LDS in Parktown remains closed for the remainder of 2020. Instead we will be spend a full day in the National Library where many scarce books, newspaper clips etc. can be found.
How do I book - This tour is fully booked but remember there will be another one next year (2021)
What is the aim of GSSA offering these tours?
- To assist beginner genealogists (but also more advanced GSSA members) when visiting archives; GSSA supports members who join one of the tours for the FIRST TIME by subsidising them with R500 if they pay the full deposit during January or February..... or until the subsidy is used up (the reduction is applicable to the full tour price – the deposit still is R 200);
- To build team spirit upong members and branches.
What are the pre-conditions for participants?
- It is recommended that you have access to the internet for a little training and plenty of information per email.
- As a beginner researcher you really need to be interested in genealogical research in your or other particular families and need to be prepared to read and work through the emails you receive during the months before leaving.
- Should you be a more advanced researcher, you are also more than welcome to join in as you waste no time on all the arrangements. The information and training will prepare you for everything. Should you classify yourself as novice researcher, you’ll be provided with some extra user-friendly information for beginners – almost 50% of the participants usually make use of this “Beginners’ Training”.
- You need to be a paid up GSSA member of any branch of your choice. It is accepted if you may want to renew your membership or to join a little later – e.g. whenever your branch has its first meeting. You could be assisted to join if necessary.
- To be on this or other tour mailing lists as an Interested Participant. Remember you are not obligated to take the tour but bookings, however, are only done by paying the deposit.
For more information or to be added to the mailing list please email me by clicking on my name Ellen Harmse
- Hits: 1756