A Journey Down Memory Lane
The Move to Africa 1883
From Germany to Alfred County, Natal
By Eckhard von Fintel, 17 July 2013
On Saturday 25 May 2013 the German South African Cultural Society South-Natal organised a journey down memory lane to remember the arrival of German settlers in Alfred County (also known as Alfredia) in 1883, 130 years ago. Alfred County lies between the Mzumkulu and Mtamvuma Rivers and reaches westwards to the Ingelirange of mountains. Its eastern border is the sea. A group of “German Settlers” The “Settlers” about to set foot
in their new “Heimat” The activities started off early in the morning with a trip of “German Settlers”, mostly descendants of the original settlers, on a boat of Brian Lange the Captain, to re-enact their landing at the Spillers Wharf bank of the Umzimkulu River. The Spillers Wharf was used as a landing place due to difficulties at S. Wharf.
The Group of "German Settlers" was accompanied by Renold Sayers the great grandson of the late Ferry Master Bill Sayers. (Renold played the role of Bill Sayers).
On arrival Peter Stoppel jr., a great gransson of Reverend Peter Stoppel, welcomed the arriving “German Settlers”. Reverend Peter Stoppel was the German Missionary who motivated the "Move to Africa" in 1883. This was followed by a celebratory Zulu dance performed by a group of young Zulus from Umzumbe. Then Mr Shinga, a retired head master from the area and cousin of the former chief, welcomed the group.
Thereafter all participants proceeded along a historic route as follows: Proceed to Lot 7 Albersville, the land allocated to H. F. Fynn by King Shaka and now a trust land for the descendants of H. F. Fynn and Bill Saunders.
Then travelled along Albersville Road and viewed the property originally owned by the Albers family who were part of the 1883 settlers. Thereafter travelled through Marburg, named after the City of Marburg in Germany (along Wimpy, Venus & Dairy Roads) and stopped at the Marburg Primary School.
Then the procession went to the site of the Marburg Lutheran Mission Station, established by Reverent Peter Stoppel in 1867. Viewed the grave yard and then gathered in the church to listen to a talk by Oscar Brüggerman, Chairman of the local
German South African Cultural Society South-Natal and descendant of a pre-1883 settler, on the history of the mission station.
Thereaftrer proceeded to the Bethany Lutheran Church, Izotsha, and viewed the church buildings which were
initiated by the 1883 settlers. In the church hall pictures and artefacts of the early settlers were displayed. Also
various family books were available for the visitors to browse through. Thereafter Oscar Brüggemann gave another
presentation, this time on the history of the German Congregation. This was followed by a finger lunch. In the
afternoon descendants of the settler families had an opportunity for an informal chat with coffee and cake